Thursday, December 23, 2021

A Fortnight to Remember

 

A FORTNIGHT TO REMEMBER

Ajit Chaudhuri

 

Some fashionable things are worth doing!


I was not keen on the Everest Base Camp (EBC) trek for a long time – stories in the trekking community suggested that it was fancy (rest-houses at every location, internet mostly available), crowded (as indicated by that iconic photograph of the traffic jam on Mt. Everest) and expensive, and that one’s precious time and money would be better expended along other routes on which phones didn’t work. The feeling changed in a conversation with Kathmandu-based friends, who said that Nepal had three treks seriously worth doing; the Manaslu area in Upper Gorkha because it was beautiful, the Makalu area between Everest and Kanchenjunga because it was untouched, and the EBC because ‘some things just have to be done’.


I got an opportunity to ‘do what has to be done’ this year – I had just returned from a trek whose co-leader mentioned that his next one was to EBC. The thought of doing this with someone who had earlier led a successful summit of Mt. Everest was too tempting to resist and, notwithstanding my advanced age and lack of preparation (other than the afore-mentioned trek), time and money, I promptly signed on.


There is a plethora of information on the EBC trek! This note is about what is not mentioned in the brochures and internet writeups, which I discovered the hard way.


One, the trek is long – you will be walking for 11 continuous days, away from basic comforts, with just high mountains around you, with the same people for company.


Two, it is high, with four distinct sections – below 3,000 m; between 3 and 4,000 m, when altitude starts becoming a factor; between 4 and 4,900 m, where the greenery disappears; and 5,000 m plus, where a good night’s sleep is difficult; and therefore, how the group acclimatizes is important. We took it easy going up, taking our time along the lower sections, spending a day at the same place once we crossed 4,000 m (and using that day to climb to 5,000 m – see the itinerary appended below), reaching places and then, no matter how tired we were, climbing another 2-300 m before coming down to our night spot. And we zipped on the return – three long and tiring days that extended into nights, a time that my knees still remember.


And three, it is hard, with steep up-hills and down-hills, and long stretches of moraine on the route into (and out of) Gorakshep along the Khumbu glacier.


Offsetting these factors were, one, the group that I went with; a mix of adventurous youngsters, middle-aged professionals, and (last but not least) nice-looking women, and led by an experienced Everester – 10 of us (I was the official buddhow – so everyone laughed at my jokes, appreciated my singing, put up with my crap and generally helped me along) and supported by a guide, an assistant guide, and a yak-wallah and his helpers – all of whom knew the terrain inside-out and for whom this was the equivalent of just another day at the office.


Two, the sheer beauty of the trek! This took me by surprise (trek brochures are like ads on Tinder in that everything is described as beautiful and each one is, I guess, in its own way) – each section was seriously beautiful, in completely different ways from the other sections. I just had to look up for fatigue to disappear, anywhere along the trek. The Doodhkoshi River that flows from the Everest region actually looks like frothy milk making its way southwards to the Ganga (we went up on its western side and returned along its east), and views of Mt. Amadablam and others were with us most of the time. The only thing we did not see was Mt. Everest in all its majesty, even from the base camp, we had to climb up Mt. Kalapathar the next day for that (begin at 0330 hours, climb to 5,600 m, come down and continue walking until 2200 hours on the day, I was so screwed – but I am spared having to say ‘Yes, I went to EBC, but I did not really see Mt. Everest’ while showing off at cocktail parties).


And three, the fun! This too was a surprise – treks are, for me, a test of endurance and I do them for many reasons but having fun is not among them. We chanced upon a restaurant in Namche Bazaar (Sherpa Bar and Steakhouse) whose owner was a music enthusiast, and we got him to sing Sherpa songs on a traditional instrument. We also commandeered the restaurant’s guitar and took over the space, both on the way up and down – and some of the group turned out to be serious singers. We celebrated a birthday in Dengbouche’s 4410 Café in similar riotous fashion, organizing a guitar and filling the place with music and laughter.


Another highlight was the flights to and from Luk La. A small plane takes one through some stunning mountain landscape before reaching the world’s most dangerous airport, where the runway is a short slope that ends with a deep drop into a valley located far below (where one’s plane would also end up if it did not lift off in time), and where flights cannot operate in bad weather, clouds, and a variety of other reasons. We were lucky – flights were cancelled for four days before our return, and then operated for a day (our day) before closing for an extended period once again.


We were lucky in our timing in another way – Nepal, a tourism dependent country, is in deep shit because of the pandemic and this otherwise extremely crowded route was near empty. Other than three Italians, the only other foreigners on the route with us, occupying the rest-houses, eating the food and employing the guides, porters and yaks, were Indians. Things will change, the mountain is not going to disappear, and I hope they do soon, but it was also nice to experience the EBC trek at this time of less rush and of local appreciation for the noisy but unafraid-of-COVID Indian.


I am glad I did it, and wish I had done it many years ago, when my legs would have laughed off the ups and downs, and my lungs the altitude. Better late than never, I guess! And, in case you are considering it yourself (if an obese 58-year-old can do it, so can you), my advice is – one, it is not a walk in the park, so prepare adequately and scientifically; two, go with a group you trust; and three, go vegetarian on the trek (never thought I’d say something like this) – cut meat (and everything else) is carried up into the Everest area by porters, a disgusting sight that one sees only on the way down, and the meat is therefore usually ancient by the time it reaches one’s plate. Spare yourself!


The group on Mt. Nangarshang (5,077 m), our acclimatization climb, on 2nd October 2021.










Trek Itinerary

Day

Journey

Altitude

26th Sep

Mumbai – Delhi – Kathmandu. Night in Boudhi Boutique Hotel, Thamel

 

27th Sep

Kathmandu to Luk La (2,846 m) by air, onwards to Ghat on foot

2,600 m

28th Sep

Ghat to Namche Bazaar

3,440 m

29th Sep

Namche Bazaar to Khumjung

3,790 m

30th Sep

Khumjung to Phortse

3,840 m

1st Oct

Phortse to Dengboche

4,410 m

2nd Oct

Day at Dengboche, acclimatisation climb up Mt. Nangarshang (5,077 m)

4,410 m

3rd Oct

Dengboche to Lobuche through Thuk La Pass

4,940 m

4th Oct

Lobuche to Gorakshep, onward to EBC (5,364 m) and back

5,164 m

5th Oct

Gorakshep to Kalapathar (5,644 m), back, onward via Lobuche to Pheriche

4,371 m

6th Oct

Pheriche to Namche Bazaar via Tenboche Monastery

3,440 m

7th Oct

Namche Bazaar to Luk La

2,846 m

8th Oct

Luk La to Kathmandu by air

 

9th Oct

Rest day in Kathmandu

 

10th Oct

Kathmandu – Delhi – Mumbai

 

Trekking Company: Boots and Crampons – 9000603444 – bootscrampons.com

 



7 comments:

Unknown said...

Very well written piece sir.I agree on so many points with you..even in my circuit so many people made of me before I was leaving for this trek - 'why EBC?' Their are better treks to enjoy in Nepal but I still went for it and i can seriously tell people now its not a piece of cake because of steep inclined and declined throughout..I am glad I did this though i am gonna attempt bigger ones in coming months:))

intvindia said...

You killed me at go vegetarian!
So proud of you Dalsi! Always lead with your heart 💜

intvindia said...

Go vegetarian! You killed me right there!
So proud of you Dalai! You always lead with your heart 💜

Unknown said...

Hi, I am also planning on ebc. Can you just share what was the total expense for the trek.

y s chaudhary said...

Feel good about you Ajit. You really have come a long way. It is your will power. You have loads of it. And that is why you have come a long way.
Your will power has always been inspiration for me, just knowing the milestones you were crossing on your way was enough to get me going. Chou to EBC and back is enough for this plains man and I too will continue be doing whatever catches my fancy. Because we have a lot in common, and I lot we don't. Best Regards to Sriparna and the brats.

anirmukerji said...

Wonderful to get a blog post from you after a long time

Wannabe Jajabor said...

As always, love your writing. And this time, you've inspired me, Dalai!! I'm going to get off my backside this year and actually do some regular exercise!!